Saturday, November 14, 2015

When I Fall In Love

Composer Victor Young and lyricist Edward Heyman wrote “When I Fall in Love” for the 1952 film One Minute to Zero, where it was performed as an instrumental by Richard Heyman and His Orchestra. Doris Day took the song to number seven on the charts for 14 weeks in 1952. Nat King Cole’s version from 1956 was featured in the 1957 film Istanbul, and Julie London recorded it in 1959. The Lettermen made a hit of the song in 1962. Natalie Cole created another duet with her deceased father on “When I Fall in Love” for the album Stardust.

Many jazz instrumentalists have covered this song over the years. One of my favorite versions is by the Bill Evans Trio. There are so many brilliant, memorable phrases in his ballad treatment of this number. When I decided to make a run at When I Fall In Love, the Bill Evans Trio model was what I had in mind.  He also has a wonderful solo take on this number,  but it is the trio piece that has really captivated me over the years.

The number has a fairly simple form.  I used the real book chart as the base for this tune.   This chart already has a number of interesting chord substitutions in it,  so I did not need to make a lot of additional ones.  During the solo section I did add a couple of subs,  but nothing too dramatic.

The song starts out with a four bar intro, then goes through an entire  32-bar ABAC verse at 54 BPM.  It then goes into a double-time solo during the next ABA section. The last two measures of the final A section are doubled for dramatic effect.  This then leads into the final C section which is back at the 54 BPM ballad tempo.  I finish up with a piano-only grouping of mostly major 7th arpeggios.



There were a few Bill Evans licks from his trio recording that I wanted to include in some fashion.   I was not going to be able to work them in exactly,  but I wanted at least some simplified or "bastardized" elements of these great licks in the second A section of the first verse.   It is almost a trivia exercise to figure out where these are included,  since resemblance to the original is minimal at best :-)









Richard Heyman's Lyrics:

When I fall in love, it will be forever
Or I'll never fall in love
In a restless world like this is
Love is ended before it's begun
And too many moonlight kisses
Seem to cool in the warmth of the sun

When I give my heart, it will be completely
Or I'll never give my heart
And the moment I can feel that you feel that way too
Is when I fall in love with you

And the moment I can feel that you feel that way too
Is when I fall in love with you


Bill Evans Trio - When I Fall In Love



1 comment:

  1. Ken,

    Once again you have created a strong rendition of this wonderful standard.
    You technique, ability to play with great lyricism and your overall musicianship continue to develop as you publish each post.
    Keep up the terrific work,
    Ed

    ReplyDelete