Thursday, March 17, 2011

If You Don't Know Me By Now

I've been working on my next song for a while now.  I just can't seem to find the time to get it recorded and fixed up.  In the meantime,  I'm going to throw this one out there so you don't think I've given up altogether.

Last night we were watching American Idol, and one of the contestants performed "If You Don't Know Me By Now."  The performer was Stefano Langone, and he did a great job!  He attributed the song to Simply Red.  I have be honest that I have no idea who that is.  I know this song as being done by Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes in 1972.  This is one of my all time favorite 70's Soul songs.  I've had it on my ipod for years, but whenever it comes up on a mix, I have to stop and listen to it.

There is not much to the song.  I sat down at the piano and figured it out last night.  Before my lesson tonight, I put an arrangement together, did one quick take, and mixed it.  It is a really fun song to play.  It is hard to stop yourself once you get into it.     

If You Don't Know Me By Now by Keith Gamble and Leon Huff.  PJ Perry is joining me on tenor sax.

Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes  1972


1 comment:

  1. Ken,

    This is such a great idea. Taking a beautiful Motown ballad and presenting it as an instrumental piece.

    You bring out the beauty and sensitivity in your playing.
    Keep up the great work!
    Ed

    ReplyDelete