Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Hymne a L'Amour (If You Love Me)

So here I was on yet another business trip.  I was in Washington D.C. staying at the Gaylord National hotel for a few nights.  Each night they had a piano player in the cocktail lounge.  Mostly the players were just OK, but one guy was incredible.  Naturally, I was the only one listening in the entire lounge - such is the life of a jazz piano player I guess.  But this player was so creative with rhythms, voicings, and melodies that I could not concentrate on anything else, including my work colleagues.  His name was Fred Hughes.  I knew each of the tunes Fred was playing, except for one.  The melody of this tune was so beautiful that I had to find out what it was.  Fred told me that it was a French song by Edith Piaf named Hymne a  L'Amour.  I resolved that I had to find music for this and take a crack at playing it for the blog. 

Well, I rooted it out, and found some great versions on iTunes. But what is really interesting is that I actually had an opportunity to play and record this live!  On my subsequent business trip to San Francisco, there was an open piano at a restaurant where we were waiting to be seated.  Here is one of my travel companion's recording of my quick take on Hymne a l'amour.

(Music note.  Apparently I've stumbled on something called a plagal cadence that I use in the ending of this tune.)

Here is a link to Fred's web site and a little postscript in French.




http://fredhughes.com/

J'ai joué un tour sur vous!   Le bruit de la foule et des applaudissements a été créé par voie électronique.

No comments:

Post a Comment