Sunday, October 31, 2010

Nature Boy

The main reason that I am doing this blog is to leave some memories behind for the kids.  When I was a teenager, I remember how my parents (especially my Dad) loved Nat King Cole.  In particular, I remember all of the songs from the Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days of Summer Album.  It was played over and over again in our house.  It was so square that it got really annoying to hear after a while - especially for kids getting into the Beatles and other much cooler stuff.

Now though, since Nat King Cole reminds me so much of them, I believe that I have every song he ever recorded on my IPOD.  One of my favorites from the Lazy-Hazy-Crazy album is That Sunday, That Summer.  (I can't seem to find the music for it, so if anyone has it, please send it my way.) 


Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days Of Summer


The song Nature Boy  is another Nat Cole one that brings back vivid memories of them, so I love to play it.  Here is a picture of me and my Mom.  Her name was Dorothy.   Believe it or not,  this stained snapshot is the only picture that I have of them in the house.  I know that my sisters have many pictures, and there are ones that I know are hidden somewhere in this house,  but this is the only one that can be found.  None of my Dad.  How sad is that! 

Some day my kids will be saying, "Remember when Dad tortured us with those hideous attempts to play jazz piano and guitar?  We had to hide in all corners of the house to avoid listening.  Boy, I would give anything to be able to hear that again".  Celia can't bring herself to delete any of the answering machine messages from her parents.  She knows that day is coming when she will give anything to hear those again. 

Well, here it is kids.   Posterity in a blog.  As I am remembering Mom and Dad with this song, maybe someday you will remember me with this one as well.

(Music Note:  I'm trying harder things on each song that I'm trying, making it almost impossible to come up with a clean version of anything.  Does this ever get better? :-)


P.S  Look at this - courtesy of Ginny and Todd!

2 comments:

  1. Well, now you've done it. You've gone and made me cry!(Olivia too!) This was a really great post, Kenneth. I loved the sentiment behind it. Really great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're getting the hand of the piano thing. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete