Saturday, August 28, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

Here is a solo jazz piece.  This has always been my favorite Bill Evans song, and recently I downloaded a version by the Ben Paterson trio that was just great.  I've borrowed some of the chord voicings from Ben Paterson.  Or at least I think I did.  I had help in figuring out the initial voicings from my wife's brother-in law John Ragusa, who is a fantastic professional flute player.  I can only think of a couple of people that are really untouchable on their instrument.  Joey deFranceso on B3 and John Ragusa on jazz flute come to mind.  Check it out.

Anyway, then I stole one of the lead patterns from Bill Evans, although it would be understandable if you didn't recognize it :-)

Ed had a lot of patience with me on this one.  It is a jazz waltz, which is surprisingly difficult to play.  We had to let it go and come back to it a couple of times.  I felt bad for Ed since this is one of his favorite tunes also, and to hear me hack through it must have been torture.

 I played this version of Alice in Wonderland at Ed's recital in June 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment